Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
purchasing requirements
Hello Forum folks and Guru's of AS9100 intellect. I work for a small CM who has decided to become AS9100 certified, we had been ISO and are now certified and approved for AS9100 but as a purchasing agent I am wondering if some of the requirements that are asked by my AS auditor are actually part of the requirement or just his interpretation. We have been tracking and evaluating our suppliers by On time Delivery for years, initial AS auditor said that was not good enough and he wanted me to track and evaluate upon Quality also. He suggested that I create a spreadsheet listing all suppliers, (I have almost 200, some are electronic comp's, some metal benders, some packaging products and office supplies etc.) Then they wanted me to create columns to track their quality systems ISO, QS, and add in the dates that their registry is due and contact them to see if they have renewed. This seems like a HUGE undertaking, is this a reasonable requirement and if so how do others handle this ?
So I see there has been 25 views with No Comments: how about if I break it down a little,

1. Per the AS 9100 standard, am I allowed to purchase from non AS9100 suppliers?
2. Per the AS 9100 standard am I responsible for knowing the quality standards that ALL my suppliers subscribe to and what their expiration dates are ?

Jim
(03-11-2016, 02:50 PM)Bo Wrote: Hello Forum folks and Guru's of AS9100 intellect. I work for a small CM who has decided to become AS9100 certified, we had been ISO and are now certified and approved for AS9100 but as a purchasing agent I am wondering if some of the requirements that are asked by my AS auditor are actually part of the requirement or just his interpretation. We have been tracking and evaluating our suppliers by On time Delivery for years, initial AS auditor said that was not good enough and he wanted me to track and evaluate upon Quality also. He suggested that I create a spreadsheet listing all suppliers, (I have almost 200, some are electronic comp's, some metal benders, some packaging products and office supplies etc.) Then they wanted me to create columns to track their quality systems ISO, QS, and add in the dates that their registry is due and contact them to see if they have renewed. This seems like a HUGE undertaking, is this a reasonable requirement and if so how do others handle this ?

What your auditor is requesting is not a requirement in the standard. However, from a business point of view - if you are required to monitor the Quality and OTD (on time delivery) for customer and don't have a clue what your suppliers are behaving then - you are fighting a loosing battle.

Second point - it really does not make any sense to do this exercise on all your suppliers - so in your procedure make a statement that you are invoking the 80/20 rule.

Let me know if you need further clarification.