Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes
I understand if you give advice you can be held accountable for that advice.  But it does stink, when your auditor is gone and you are left trying to figure out how to solve the issue.
No.
The auditor is not onsite long enough to give advice, he/she can't know the unique aspects of your business and how can they give advice without drawing upon knowledge they have gleamed from visiting other and possible competitors sites? That would be a violation of an auditor's responsibility.

Plus you give advice you own the advice, what if they implement it wrong? The site could come back and say, we only did what you said. And if it's a different auditor the next time and they don't like the corrective action....well it gets ugly fast.

No the site owns the CA and the solution.

Too dangerous for the auditor and the registrar.
As auditors, there are certain things we can do and others things we can't do. We can help contractors with the interpretation of ISO requirements, specially if we see that they are going in the wrong direction. We can't provide suggestions on how to solve specific problems. The solution has to come from the contractor.
I have found the best auditors are those who don't necessary consult but may offer opportunities for improvement. I haven't had an auditor provide suggestions to findings but have had several that have pointed out ways to improve and make the Quality system more robust.
(07-17-2015, 11:32 AM)ASQBob Wrote: I understand if you give advice you can be held accountable for that advice.  But it does stink, when your auditor is gone and you are left trying to figure out how to solve the issue.

While auditors are not allow to tell you what to do, they can provide opportunities for improvement, share best practices observed in the industries and guide your interpretation of the standard -never, ever attached their names to the information that they provide - they do enjoy that very much.  This way they can say that they are not consulting and you enjoy all the benefits of a veteran for half the price.