Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Buds
I see no conflict between lean thinking and Quality Assurance.  Lean thinking attacks waste, waste is poor Quality.  

Expand your thinking to the Quality of processes and Lean thinking is a great tool to improve quality.  

The most obvious of course is the waste of making defects.  We should be right in there with our tools reducing defects. 

The waste of over production?  How is that Quality's concern?  Over production HIDES poor quality.  When your org reduces over production you may become very very busy as you work to get your company's first pass yields up enough to support the reduction of over production.

The waste of excess movement?  Poka Yoke https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poka-yoke or mistake proofing and reducing the waste of excess movement is a natural alignment.  When we strive for those 50 ppm levels, mistake proofing is an essential tool.

What examples do you have?  How did you bond with the Lean Gurus or butt heads? 

I'd love to hear examples where lean and quality where at odds with each other, because I don't think it could happen.
(note I think the lean guys can get too far a head and that the existing quality level won't support lean thinking and that quality will have to make major strides to support lean, but that's a good thing.)
(08-07-2015, 12:40 PM)admin Wrote: I see no conflict between lean thinking and Quality Assurance.  Lean thinking attacks waste, waste is poor Quality.  

Expand your thinking to the Quality of processes and Lean thinking is a great tool to improve quality.  

The most obvious of course is the waste of making defects.  We should be right in there with our tools reducing defects. 

The waste of over production?  How is that Quality's concern?  Over production HIDES poor quality.  When your org reduces over production you may become very very busy as you work to get your company's first pass yields up enough to support the reduction of over production.

The waste of excess movement?  Poka Yoke https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poka-yoke or mistake proofing and reducing the waste of excess movement is a natural alignment.  When we strive for those 50 ppm levels, mistake proofing is an essential tool.

What examples do you have?  How did you bond with the Lean Gurus or butt heads? 

I'd love to hear examples where lean and quality where at odds with each other, because I don't think it could happen.
(note I think the lean guys can get too far a head and that the existing quality level won't support lean thinking and that quality will have to make major strides to support lean, but that's a good thing.)
Lean concepts and Quality do not hold hands and they are not friends.  Lean guys celebrate possibility and positive trends while quality guys are very simple - is it good or bad, does it work or not, did we meet the quota.  If line was so good why are the company "on Time Delivery and Quality so poor. Lean people have tied the hands of Quality that it becomes frustrating for individual to meet requirements.

I know this from experience from visiting many companies that have a lean individual but the metrics are ok at best.

Just my 2 cents.... Wink just to show another side of the coin - does not mean that I agree or disagree.
(08-20-2015, 11:32 PM)d Wrote: Lean concepts and Quality do not hold hands and they are not friends.  Lean guys celebrate possibility and positive trends while quality guys are very simple - is it good or bad, does it work or not, did we meet the quota.  If line was so good why are the company "on Time Delivery and Quality so poor. Lean people have tied the hands of Quality that it becomes frustrating for individual to meet requirements.

I know this from experience from visiting many companies that have a lean individual but the metrics are ok at best.

Just my 2 cents.... Wink just to show another side of the coin - does not mean that I agree or disagree.

Way too many places I've been the Lean Guru (hate that term) are little more than a cheerleader.  If you do this, then wonderful wonderful things happen.  I do practice lean.  You have a point, but I think it's more an indictment of what passes for lean guru's, than lean itself.
(08-22-2015, 01:22 AM)QualityGuy Wrote:
(08-20-2015, 11:32 PM)d Wrote: Lean concepts and Quality do not hold hands and they are not friends.  Lean guys celebrate possibility and positive trends while quality guys are very simple - is it good or bad, does it work or not, did we meet the quota.  If line was so good why are the company "on Time Delivery and Quality so poor. Lean people have tied the hands of Quality that it becomes frustrating for individual to meet requirements.

Way too many places I've been the Lean Guru (hate that term) are little more than a cheerleader.  If you do this, then wonderful wonderful things happen.  I do practice lean.  You have a point, but I think it's more an indictment of what passes for lean guru's, than lean itself.

I agree. There is no such a thing as a Lean Guru. It's actually a dangerious term. Lean is really common sense actions to eliminate waste (bad quality being one of them). The real challenge is not learning the lean tools or principles, it is the discipline required and culture leadership in your organization to think lean in everything they do (processes, emails, meetings, purchasing, etc.). I like lean cheerleaders in all levels of the organization  (top-bottom, and bottom-up).

On the main topic, it's a strange question to ask whether lean and quality agree or disagree. It really depends on how you define quality philosophically. In my view, quality is simply applying priciples, methods, and disciplines to prevent variation and undesirable outcomes. Lean requires that you eliminate bad quality.