Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layered Audits
Since the fall of Elsmar cove I knew this would be a topic many would want to comment on and as of yet hasn't been documented.

My company is thinking of implementing Layered Audits.  People may be more diligent in their work if they know different layers of management will be my to audit their process. 

Here the question, how do you get a companies buy in, if they have never done anything like this before?
(08-26-2015, 05:23 PM)Marcusja2002 Wrote: Since the fall of Elsmar cove I knew this would be a topic many would want to comment on and as of yet hasn't been documented.

My company is thinking of implementing Layered Audits.  People may be more diligent in their work if they know different layers of management will be my to audit their process. 

Here the question, how do you get a companies buy in, if they have never done anything like this before?

Wow!  That is a very loaded question.  My company went through years of denial to do LPA until it was mandated by Chrysler and GM who are the big OEM customer.  THen the TS auditors start to audit compliance to this requirements ( and we are not even widget suppliers) and started hitting us with Major and Minor NC associated with LPA's.  The impact of having major is supension of TS certificate for 110 days.  Training was conducted and now I think (even if no one admits it) the LPA is behind the decrease in errors in our manufacturing process as well as decrease in quality incidents.  Management will buy it if they know what is at stake -$$$$$  cost of quality.  Do not forget to use this website to bounce off your frustration on LPA.  You will be supported.  Thanks to the ADMIN and the team.  We audit the LPA and issue minor NC's and correct it before the TS auditor comes.  Smile  Cove has been a great provider of resource.  They're still around, you just have to look for them.
Often management does not know the day to day issues and barriers that employees face. Many of these issues management would be recognized as causing inefficiencies in their operations. And many of these issues management could address quickly or bring needed resources to bear to start to solve those issues.

Layered audits gives management the opportunity in many cases to see their operations in a way they have not done so in the past. I've seen many "why are we doing it this way?" moments with layered audits.

It also gives the employees a sense that management cares enough to get down and dirty and see what their work lives look like. It's also the opportunity for cross auditing. Get the manager of IT out there and I'll bet he/she will see many opportunities for improvement that they can accomplish.

I'd start with a small cadre of layer auditors, ones who have a great attitude and are eager to improve the operations. Get a few success stories under your belt before rolling it out to a wider group.

Make sure the auditors are trained and know what to look for, how to record and how to interact with the employees. A bad early layered audit can kill the whole program.

Sell in on employee engagement and potential significant large improvements. Do your homework and socialization of the program before starting.
(08-26-2015, 08:40 PM)PDCA-91215 Wrote:
(08-26-2015, 05:23 PM)Marcusja2002 Wrote: Since the fall of Elsmar cove I knew this would be a topic many would want to comment on and as of yet hasn't been documented.

Also the benefits of LPA could be:
 Same issues are identified,  and corrected?
 Overall improvement
 issues moving away from QC to QA

Wow!  That is a very loaded question.  My company went through years of denial to do LPA until it was mandated by Chrysler and GM who are the big OEM customer.  THen the TS auditors start to audit compliance to this requirements ( and we are not even widget suppliers) and started hitting us with Major and Minor NC associated with LPA's.  The impact of having major is supension of TS certificate for 110 days.  Training was conducted and now I think (even if no one admits it) the LPA is behind the decrease in errors in our manufacturing process as well as decrease in quality incidents.  Management will buy it if they know what is at stake -$$$$$  cost of quality.  Do not forget to use this website to bounce off your frustration on LPA.  You will be supported.  Thanks to the ADMIN and the team.  We audit the LPA and issue minor NC's and correct it before the TS auditor comes.  Smile  Cove has been a great provider of resource.  They're still around, you just have to look for them.
Do you have recommended tools for Layered Process Audits?
(01-05-2016, 04:43 PM)dpigula Wrote: Do you have recommended tools for Layered Process Audits?

CQI-8 provides guidelines for LPA.  You can purchase that document thru AIAG